Sunday, November 18, 2012

live

Leibovitz, Georgia O’Keeffe’s bed, Abiquiu, New Mexico, 2010.
I didn't expect to be moved when we walked into O'Keeffe's studio, but I found myself weeping.  It's hard to describe the sense of solitude and peace in that room.  There is a narrow bed with a woven linen covering.  O'Keeffe's bedroom, which is around the corner, is about the size of a closet and has another twin bed in it and two windows that extend to the edge of the wall, so that they meet.  She looked out over the desert ... 

The simplicity of her single bed with the threadbare linens and the horizon line says it for me.  You can tell what's important to her.  I've seen some ways I wish I could live, and on some level Georgia O'Keeffe sets the bar.

--Annie Leibovitz, from Pilgrimage, 2011

Pilgrimage, my favorite from this expedition -- and I'm just that much more anxious to begin planning the next leg of my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment