Tuesday, December 13, 2011

the meeting

I ran right over the hill and stopped in my tracks as this fawn glanced up and walked straight for me -- almost insouciantly.  I stood still and waited for what, I don't know -- until at last he/she had a change of heart and moved across my path, nosing on into the leaves on the other side.  When I finally turned my attention it was like a fantasy movie where things appear from nowhere.  I realized that I was standing in the center of six deer, all regarding me with varying degrees of interest.  

I am used to seeing them and the rest of their large herd.  I often run up on them but then there is a quick rustle and a glimpse of white as they leap away.  I don't know how I managed to find myself so deeply in their midst today or why they didn't run.  We considered each other for an indeterminate moment and then I walked slowly on.  This time they stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment