Thursday, July 7, 2011

I've never...

but the hills of Iowa make me wish that I could.
IMG_1114
IMG_1092
IMG_1112

Here's what I wrote about Iowa:

"6/19/2011 -- I've never been to Iowa before.  It's like driving through a diorama -- I feel like I am driving a little toy car through a patchwork of corn and grass -- the seams of each field stitched together by rows of trees.  Tiny farm houses dot the landscape and clouds hang from above, suspended like puffs of cotton.  I think if I look hard enough, I will see the filament from which they've been strung."  I later wondered about the size of a pair of hands that might have wrought this.

I am always surprised that, in spite of the name, the Great Plains are far from flat.  They undulate for hundreds of miles -- miles where the mind is free to roam over the hills and wonder.

I could not possibly drive through Iowa without playing this song over and over in my mind.  As I write this, it continues to roll.  Here is what Dar has to say about "Iowa":

"...this came out of a vocal exercise ... and then I put the words to it after driving through Iowa and finding the landscape was so rolling and beautiful, like a vocal exercise."  (I could not love her more -- and try as I might, this video will not embed.  Please click the link below to view Ms. Williams perform for a group of middle schoolers.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajKW3X9WtPE&feature=related


No comments:

Post a Comment