Monday, December 3, 2012

if

Und wenn dich das Irdische vergaß, zu der stillen Erde sag: Ich rinne. Zu dem raschen Wasser sprich: Ich bin.
-Rainer Maria Rilke
A while ago I read Augusten Burrough's memoir, Running with Scissors.  The most significant impression I took from it was the practice of "bible dipping" which essentially goes something like this:  If you are looking for an answer to a particular question, open the bible to a random page and without looking, place your finger on the page. Wherever your finger points, there is the answer.  

I've adopted the practice, adapted really -- not for the purpose of solving particular crises but rather as a preferred means for divining relief from chronic restlessness.  I'm open to all messages so I am not of a mind to look exclusively within the bible.  I will just as easily try my luck with any of the books in a given library.  I just allow my gaze to come to rest, pull the book from the shelf and open.  The words are always there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment