Wednesday, October 19, 2011

byron I

“I can never get people to understand that poetry is the expression of an excited passion, and that there is no such thing as a life of passion any more than a continuous earthquake or an eternal fever.”   --Lord Byron, in a letter to Thomas Moore, 5 July 1821
If I had been sitting across from Byron I would probably have just nodded (in what I hope would have seemed a thoughtfully aloof manner) and swooned -- because Byron is the kind of guy for whom I would have fallen hard.  He was one of the original "boys in the band" and I would have tried to play it cool, hanging out, affecting disinterest -- but I would have only been able to keep that up for so long --  soon enough I would have ended up a little pathetic and a lot heartbroken.  

But I digress...  What I meant to say is that as much as my heart would try to argue, Byron is right, almost.  Passion, inflamed, has the power to move -- it is intoxicating -- and addicting -- and fleeting.  The ebb of such is a strong pull in the opposite direction that we can leave us wanting -- but a sustained inflammation would surely be the death of most of us.  So, the way I see it, there is passion and passion inflamed.  While we may live for the explosions, we might also find that it's the coals and embers that keep us alive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment