Saturday, September 17, 2011

it's later than...

Last night:  We are multi-taskers, coming in late from practices and meetings and dining while working and catching up.  Will, with a fork in one hand and his homework in the other, looks at the clock and declares "it's not as early as we think it is."  

Well then, there, now, Socrates...   







So this morning I hugged him as I was leaving for work and felt his hand pat my shoulder.  I was swept immediately to another time, another place, same boy, just much smaller.  He fit on my hip, his face nestled perfectly in the crook of my neck and -- one of the sweetest things i've ever known -- his little, little hand patted my shoulder.

All day, I am thinking, "it's later than you think" -- and so it is.  I believe the point is:  Enjoy.

For the record:  The asters were summoned into bloom, apparently by the crisp night temperatures.  Pawpaws (and if you are in the area) are fragrant, if not quite soft.  Forest floor is littered with nutshells.  Walnut, hickory, beech and acorn -- squirrels are busy.  Ironweed and goldenrod ... grasshopppers ... puffballs and late summer/early fall fungi.  The green continues to hold it's own but I'm wagering that photosynthesis is pretty much over for the deciduous and within the week we'll see the telltale signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment