Sunday, August 19, 2012

discover






In a strange limbo today.  I've done as much preparation and planning I'm going to do. There's not enough time left to play.  Just enough for some waiting -- with a bit to spare for a quick detour.

Pictures above are some local examples of park structures completed under Roosevelt's New Deal (with a splash of sky for good measure).  I've been admiring the CCC work in the national parks and was recently informed that we had some masonry structures nearby in a place I'd almost forgotten about.  The park itself sits on top of a uniquely high and steep hill.  Winding my way up the sharp curving roads and finding the stone shelters at the top made me feel like I was someplace altogether different.


Franklin Roosevelt at CCC camp, Shenandoah National Park, 1933

From Harpers Ferry, National Park Service Historic Photograph Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment