Wednesday, November 2, 2011

the colors of late fall

So if I were coloring these days, I would put away all the florescent colors that seem to only have a place in nature for a couple of weeks a year.  Instead I would grab for Sepia, Raw Sienna, Raw Umber, Maize, Burnt Orange, Burnt Sienna, Bittersweet, Mahogany.  Back in my coloring hey day, these colors stayed sharp for lack of use but I thought today that I wished I had a new box just so I could dig them up and read their names out loud.




The sky and clouds are now visible in the deep woods as this year's leaves complete their migration from overhead to underfoot.  I feel bad for the squirrels on the ground.  They make a surprising racket in the dry leaves -- couldn't keep a secret if they tried.  And, it is this time of year that I am grateful for oak and beech.  Their leaves will hang around to keep me company for a while yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment